Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Key West Travelogue - 5

(Continued from here)

It was Sunday and soon it would be time to leave this island paradise and go back to the din and the daily chores. The day started pretty late for me as is the case always. (I'm never an early riser). After about an hour's time, I was all packed and ready to check out of my hostel. I returned the pillow and blanket at the front desk and dumped all my stuff in the back-seat except for my camera. I still had quite a bit of time at my disposal and I decided to explore a little bit before I left.

So, I walked along this narrow road which was just outside the hostel and saw some amazing houses on both sides of the road.



Then I walked past this amazing pink coloured building. A sign outside the building said that it was the Southermost Motel in the US and there's no other motel which is further south than that one.



Finally, when I reached the end of the street, I came to this monument. It is supposed to be the southernmost point in the continental United States. The country of Cuba is just about 90 miles which means its closer than Miami which is about 120-odd miles to the north. :-))



This picture (below) shows the view from the back of the southernmost point looking towards Cuba.



The best part about visiting Key West is the drive. It is so amazing. Its an out of this world kind of experience. String of islands connected by a single road with lots of bridges over the blue ocean and one bridge as long as 7 miles. Its just one of a kind drive.

The best part is that just before each bridge there is a small picnic area and a beach where you can just chill out and take the sun. Something like this place below.



The first bridges to connect these island keys were railroad bridges build by a person called Flagler. Most of these bridges were destroyed in a major hurricane that struck this area in 1930s. You can still see remnants of the old bridges alongside the new bridges, like the picture below.



Here are some of the pictures that I took while I was driving on the Seven Mile Bridge. Hope you like them.








The Key West trip has been so far one of the highlights of my long and extended US stay. Its been nearly 2 years since I first came here and its absolutely unbelievable how time has literally flown.

I always wonder what would it be like to visit the same place again sometime in the future say 3-4 years down the line. Would I still have my memories from my earlier visit? Would I still remember the activities I indulged in during my last visit? Would I still feel the same level of excitement that I felt earlier?

I dont know the answers to these questions but I sure would like to find out by visiting them again.

3 comments:

Keshi said...

The sea pics r great!

**The country of Cuba is just about 90 miles which means its closer than Miami

WOW! so hv u been to Cuba?

Keshi.

Vijay said...

It was a nice series of article on Key West.. I remembered some places which I visited on a 1 day trip to Key West... 7 Mile Bridge is amazing... Looking forward to some more articles on your trips...

Vijay

Ram said...

@Keshi
hell no...:-) i'm not too great fan of smoking let alone cigars...so no reason for me to go to Cuba. Its just that from Key West...Cuba is 90 miles south by boat...and Miami 130-odd by road.

@Vijay
Thanks a lot buddy for visiting and reading. Keep coming back for more.

-Rama.