Monday, August 13, 2007

Key West Travelogue - 3

(Continued from here)

I continued along the same road and came across this magnicient cottage. I am a great fan of wonderful poetry. Usage of fanciful words, artistic vocabulary and articulate writing have always fascinated me ever since I heard my father narrate wonderful poems of John Milton and Alfred Tennyson.



The moment I saw this I was instantly reminded of one of Robert Frost's most amazing poem snippets. Most of you might be knowing what I'm referring to. For those who don't here it is.

"The woods are lovely dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep..."


I kept moving on along the same road and I saw this small house which was the birth-place (if I could call that) of Pan-American Airlines. It was founded in 1930s in Key West. Read more about it here.



Walking further along the street, I came to a dead end and I decided to turn left and walk along that route. It was then that I saw this white coloured building called Little White House. The plaque outside the historic building said that it was used by president Harry Truman as his winter residence.



Continuing further along the Little White House road I came to a place called Fort Zachary Taylor.



It was a state park and I decided to go and explore. I paid the 5 dollar entrance fee and I was told that it housed a fort which was used to store ammunition during the American Civil war and it also had a beach.



Walking on the beach - at the edge where the ocean water caresses the beach sand and pulls away the sand below your feet - was a wonderful feeling. It made me nostalgic and melancholy. Why? Because I wasn't able to share this wonderful experience with my near and dear ones. And suddenly I was missing them really bad.

Half-way through taking pictures at the beach, my camera just died on me and suddenly I realized my folly of not having charged the camera battery over-night. I literally felt like kicking myself. So I glanced at my watch and saw that it was close to 03:00 pm. I had not eaten anything at all and my stomach won over against the urge to explore further.

I quickly retraced back to where I'd parked my car and rushed inside the nearest restaurant and ordered a sandwich. Unfortunately my choice of restaurant was bad and service still poor. I had to literally fight with the waiter to tell him to make a vegetarian sandwich. He was so pissed at me that he said I cant help you and sent another waiter to tend to my request.

The bad experience at the restaurant didnt bother me for long since I was excited about doing the parasailing. I quickly finished off my sandwich and went into the nearest Starbucks to get my favourite Cappuccino. There I got a brain-wave. I still had nearly an hour before my para-sailing and I decided to just sit at Starbucks, enjoy my coffee and also charge my camera battery. :-)))

(Continued here...)

4 comments:

Keshi said...

beautiful pics! WUT A BEACH WOW!

lol @camera! It always happens doesnt it!

Keshi.

Keshi said...

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY Rama!

And ty for ur warm msg in my blog. HUGGGGGGGGGGZ! It means alot to me.

Keshi.

Incrediblyirrational said...

nice pictures. those have been my favourite lines since my 6th grade.it had a magical effect and still has though over time it's effect has also varied.

Ram said...

@Keshi,

Yeah the beaches in Key West are wonderful. Its a pity I wasnt able to spend more time there.

about the camera...yeah...afterall Murphy's law has to be satisfied somehow.

@Nithya
Thanks for visiting my blog. I love those lines too. I first read them in Jawaharlal Nehru's "Letters to my daughter". Later I realized Nehru had just "borrowed" them from Robert Frost.